Looking for a quick and healthy snack with vegetarian and vegan tags? These green garbanzo beans will fulfill all your requirements for a yummy and healthy recipe.
Some people (including me) are a massive fan of the nutty flavor of chickpeas. So not only in salad, main course dishes, or side dishes, we want to eat them as a light and hearty snack too.
For such people and the vegetarian and vegan people, I have brought this recipe of green garbanzo beans. (By the way, do not get confused, chickpeas and garbanzo beans are the same).
This recipe is simple, healthy, and unique. Unique in the sense that we are going to use fresh green beans instead of hard white beans.
The green beans are a bit more tender than white ones but still hard enough so you may want to boil them. However, they are equally loaded with nutrition such as fiber and protein.
So they not only make up for your daily protein intake but also improve your bowel movements and give your stomach a sense of fullness.
So, in short, this nutty snack will benefit you in all respects while still being so yummy and healthy.
How to Make Green Garbanzo Beans?
The healthy snack is hell easy to make. Buy the fresh, plump green garbanzo beans from the market. Just remove the pods from your beans, boil them, and toss them in salt, olive oil, and black pepper.
The green garbanzo beans are ready. It takes only 25 minutes to make this snack. The time may vary depending on how hard or tender you want your garbanzo beans. You may want to boil them for that long.
Ingredients for Green Garbanzo Beans Recipe
For making Green Garbanzo Beans, you need the following ingredients:
- Fresh garbanzo beans = 3 cups
- Salt = ¼ tsp
- Olive oil = 1 tbsp
- Black pepper = ⅛ tsp (about a pinch)
Step-by-Step Guide for Making Green Garbanzo Beans Recipe
Follow this step-by-step guide to make Green Garbanzo Beans:
Take a medium pot and add water to it. Boil the water and then add a pinch of salt.
Meanwhile, shell the green chickpeas and throw the garbanzo beans into the pot with boiling water.
Cook for 3 minutes or until the beans are tender enough according to your liking. Then strain them.
Move the garbanzo beans to a bowl, add olive oil, salt, and black pepper, and toss well until the beans are coated evenly with the ingredients.
Taste to see if you need more salt. Adjust the flavor. Green garbanzo beans are ready. Serve. Bon Appetit!
Recipe Tips and Variations
- For an edamame-like version of the recipe, simply do not shell the garbanzo beans. Boil them when they are still within the pods. And enjoy the snack.
- You can adjust the seasonings in the recipe according to your palate.
- You can use these garbanzo beans as a snack, and enjoy them as a side dish and with a salad.
- While in the grocery store, buy those garbanzo beans that do not have any wilting or browning and are plump green.
- You can also enjoy raw and fresh beans but they are a bit hard so I prefer frying or boiling them.
Are chickpeas and garbanzo beans the same thing?
These two terms are used interchangeably. Otherwise, garbanzo beans and chickpeas are the same. Garbanzo beans are green chickpeas.
What is the texture and taste of garbanzo beans?
Garbanzo beans are a bit firmer than those of the green peas. Their texture is somewhat grainy in comparison to the kidney beans. As far as taste is concerned, they taste earthy and nutty.
In which season can I find the fresh Garbanzo beans?
Fresh garbanzo beans are available in farmer markets or grocery stores from April to July. It will be around spring to summer.
So how did you like this recipe? Even if you eat chickpeas significantly less often, this snack or side dish recipe will make you fall in love with its nutty and earthy flavor combined with the hints of olive oil and salt.
And for those who already love garbanzo beans, this recipe will be a happy deal for them. The slightly grainy texture also feels very palatable. So from its surface to flavor and nutrition, Garbanzo beans are a complete package for your palate and stomach. So don’t forget to give them a try.
More Delicious Recipes
Green Garbanzo Beans Recipe
- 3 cups Fresh garbanzo beans
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- ⅛ tsp Black pepper, about a pinch
- Take a medium pot and add water to it. Boil the water and then add a pinch of salt.
- Meanwhile, shell the green chickpeas and throw the garbanzo beans into the pot with boiling water.
- Cook for 3 minutes or until the beans are tender enough according to your liking. Then strain them.
- Move the garbanzo beans to a bowl, add olive oil, salt, and black pepper, and toss well until the beans are coated evenly with the ingredients.
- Taste to see if you need more salt. Adjust the flavor. Green garbanzo beans are ready. Serve. Bon Appetit!