Shrimp Rotel Dip Recipe
This recipe is a great way to get some healthy, vibrant green color and a delicious, creamy dip.The only thing you need when making this standard dish is shrimp, Rotel (a mild or diced tomato), garlic, onion powder, green chilies, and shredded cheese.
- 1 pound raw peeled salad shrimp
- 1 teaspoon Creole or Cajun seasoning, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon each garlic and onion powder
- 1 pound raw breakfast sausage
- 2 cans mild or original diced tomatoes with green chilies (like Rotel), drained
- 1 (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, undrained
- 1 pound original Velveeta or American cheese, cubed
- 1 cup shredded cheese, optional
- Tortilla chips
Put shrimp in a bowl with Creole or Cajun seasoning, Old Bay, garlic powder, and onion powder; set aside.
In a skillet, brown the sausage, drain it and return it to the pan.
Stir several times while cooking on medium-low, adding diced tomatoes, green chilies, and Velveeta cubes.
Cover and cook shrimp for 5 minutes, until pink and translucent. Repeatedly stirring. If necessary, adjust the seasonings.
You can hold the dip over very low heat, stirring occasionally, or you can transfer it to a small crockpot or buffet server set on warm or low. Add shredded cheese to the top, if desired; cover and let melt.
Served as a dip with tortilla chips or sturdy crackers, this dip goes well with nachos or nachos.